A few friends have asked me to share my Grandads carrot soup recipe with them but I decided to share it here instead. It’s a recipe that originates from grandad Callaghan hence the name. Often this Carrot Soup recipe is served for Christmas dinner but great all year round. More recently I make this as a quick start for dinner parties with some homemade bread rolls.
Grandads Carrot Soup Recipe
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
Ready in 60 minutes
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and grated
- 8 ozs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1 ½ pints of vegetable stock
- White pepper to taste
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 2 tsp of Paprika
- 1 tbsp of fennel seeds
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter over moderate heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and sweat of the chopped onions.
- Add the carrots and potatoes and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the vegetables from sticking to the pan.
- Add the Fennel seeds and optionally the Paprika to add a slightly smokey taste to the Carrot Soup.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and simmer for a further 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Season to taste with the salt and white pepper
- Remove the pan from the heat and either press the Carrot Soup through a strainer placed over a medium-sized mixing bowl or alternatively use a blender directly in the pan (tip: place cling film around the top of the pan and blender to avoid making a mess).
- Return the pan to a simmer uncovered until the soup thickens.
- Stir in the cream and add more seasoning if necessary.
- Serve Grandads Carrot Soup in hot bowls with a swirl of cream and sprinkle of fennel seeds.
If there is excess Carrot Soup consider freezing some in suitable containers to have for a quick meal when such a time arrises.
It’s a pretty straight forward Carrot Soup recipe and I hope you enjoy as much as I do. The hardest part is all the peeling and grating and let’s be honest that’s not that hard! Enjoy on behalf of Grandad Callaghan