This green pea chowder recipe is one of my favourites. It’s so simple with a delicious result under 20 minutes. It has a beautiful colour with a nourishingly filling flavour.
It is perfect in the darkest of Winters or the warmest of Summers. It’s said to be best-served piping hot in the early days of Winter accompanied with garlic bread, but I think this green pea soup is excellent all year round. It’s perfected with a serving of pea leaf if you can track some down!
Prep Time: 5min
Cook Time: 15min
- 2tbsp butter
- 450g frozen Peas (tablespoon kept back to serve as decoration)
- 600ml milk
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Small bunch of mint leaves, chopped
- Single cream for thinning
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Chives, chopped
- Pea leaf
- Heat up the butter in a large pan over medium heat.
- Simmer all the above ingredients apart from the cream for 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and liquidise.
- Thin out with cream and add seasoning as necessary.
- Add garnish such as chives, a sprinkle of pea leaf and a decorative swirl of whipping cream.