Last week I enjoyed a lovely Chinese meal out on my birthday in great company. The restaurant was incredible, as was the food. I wanted to eat everything. What I did eat was like nothing else I have had before, but it was the most simple of dishes that really hit my taste buds. A week on and I wanted to make a meal of one of the plates and decided to give Chicken and vegetable egg fried rice a go.
Recipe: Chicken and vegetable egg fried rice
Serves: 2 ½
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Ready in 40 min
- 2 cups of rice, cooked, drained and still warm
- 1 large chicken breast, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 spring onions, diced
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp dashi powder
- 1 tsp crushed chicken stock cube
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the wok until hot.
- Add some oil and once smoking add the eggs.
- Leave them to whiten before turning and scrambling using a spatula.
- Add the diced chicken and cook until it is 90% cooked through.
- Add the carrots and onions and keeping mixing in.
- Now add the warm rice and break down any large lumps.
- Now is the time to practice the wok flick!
- Add a few pinches of salt and pepper, the garlic, dashi and chicken stock.
- Once mixed add the unsalted butter and a handful of spring onions.
- Now add the soy sauce and sesame oil while continuing to combine the ingredients together.
- Leave to cook for a few more minutes before serving with a sprinkle of spring onions and chopped parsley as a garnish topping.
PS the restaurant was called Tattu in Manchester.